Learn To Develop Trading Strategies - Historical Backtests And Performance Statistics Improve Your Trading
Do you have an idea of how to make money? Make a backtest and find out!
"Gurus" in the media rarely quantify their predictions. Why? Because they are almost never correct. No proof is given on the prediction's reliability and profitability. But the good thing is that you can find out yourself!
You'll learn this in our backtesting course:
- How do you know if you're going to make money if you have not tested your trading idea or pattern?
- How big are your setbacks along the way going to be?
- What is the win ratio of your strategy?
- Is your strategy robust or likely a result of luck or randomness?
The course covers the following topics/lessons (written course - no videos):
- What is backtesting?
- Pros and cons of backtesting
- How to optimize a backtest
- In sample vs. out of sample backtesting
- Correlation - how to put strategies together
- Survivorship bias
- Strategy performance metrics
- Bad data - garbage in, garbage out
- How to find trading ideas
- Backtesting journal
- Common mistakes in backtesting
- Curve fitting
- Different asset class - same strategy?
- Backtesting software
- Getting backtesting data
- Getting started
What is backtesting?
A backtest has strict rules for when to buy and when to exit. In other words, you can code the strategy and find out with 100% certainty how the strategy has performed in the past. Thus, this is a backtest on historical data and strict trading rules. That is why it’s called a “back test” (history). We can argue it’s a kind of quantified technical analysis – technical analysis backtesting.
Does backtesting require coding skills?
No, you can manage well by using Excel. However, we recommend learning the code of a trading platform, for example Amibroker, Tradestation, Ninjatrader, etc. You'll master the basic with just a few weeks of trial and error.
Do I need to have trading experience?
No, but any experience is (of course) a plus. The more experience you have, the more you understand of your backtests.
Does it cost money to backtest?
Excel or Google Sheets (free) can help you a long way. Any trading software is not expensive. Amibroker charges 299 for a lifetime license, for example.