Brett Steenbarger – All About Trading Strategy Psychology
Last Updated on July 22, 2022
Brett Steenbarger, Ph.D., is the author of the famous Traderfeed blog, and he has also published many books on trading psychology. He is a psychologist and a trading coach, who has helped portfolio managers and traders improve their performance. Brett also trades for himself and uses historical patterns in the market to find a trading advantage.
He is part of Victor Niederhoffer‘s Daily Speculation group and has written several books about trading psychology. Steenbarger is also pretty active on Twitter.
Brett Steenbarger’s early life and career
He grew up in Canton, Ohio State. Brett graduated from Duke University in 1976 with a B.S in psychology and got his Ph.D. in Clinical psychology from Kansas State University in 1982.
He has been operating in the financial markets since the late ’70s. As a trading coach, Brett doesn’t offer coaching to individual traders but to traders in the hedge fund, proprietary trading groups, and investment banks. In addition, he welcomes questions and comments from individuals. Brett was the Director of Trader Development at Kingstree Trading, LLC in Chicago. He teaches at SUNY Upside State Medical University as an associate clinical professor of Psychiatry and Behavioural Science in New York.
Dr. Steenbarger resigned from his Medical School Faculty position in 2006 and began working and researching the market with professional traders while coordinating the training program for new traders at Kingstree Trading. In 2006, he started working part-time with traders so he could have time for his trading, conduct market modeling research, and writing books on performance trading. Dr. Steenbarger developed several methods to measure market trends, momentum, and trading activities designed to help short-term traders. His strategies are shared daily on the Traderfeed blog and Trading Psychology weblog. Brett has served as an anchor for several sponsored trading events by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and other futures exchanges.
He wrote The Psychology of Trading (Wiley, 2003) and Enhancing Trader Performance (Wiley, 2006). Excerpts from his books can be found in Psychologist’s Desk Reference (Oxford University Press, 1998). He also wrote Clinical Strategies for Becoming a Master Psychotherapist (Academic Press, 2006).
He served as director and trader development at Tudor Investment Corporation from 2010-2014. Brett is deeply involved in performance coaching and recruitment at several hedge funds and trading firms specializing in utilizing solutions to build core strengths and competencies.
He enjoys performance coaching where he teaches traders and money managers how to use quantitative tools to support their decision-making process. Brett employs spirituality and positive psychology in his trades; and uses high-frequency data for decision support in the short-term trading of index futures, index ETFs, and stocks. Also, solution-focused approaches to psychological change, creativity, and cognitive variables in the performance of money managers.
Dr. Steenbarger enjoys traveling with his wife, visiting their five children and grandchildren, and maintaining a lively household with four rescue cats. He enjoys listening to music like J-rock, contemporary Jewish, symphonic metal, goth, and electronic. His favorite reads include books such as New Pathways in Psychology by Colin Wilson, Greatness by Dean Keith Simonton, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The Road to Excellence by K. Anders Ericsson, amongst others.
Brett lives in Naperville, IL, with his wife of 22 years, Margie, and their two children, Macrae and Devon.
Other famous traders and their trading strategies
- op motivational trading quotes
- How Jim Simons’ trading strategies Made 66% A Year (The Medallion Fund)
- Ray Dalio – life, investment strategies, and philosophy
Ed Seykota – Trading Strategy and Quotes (Trend Follower Wizard)
- Jesse Livermore – The World’s Most Legendary Trader? (Trading strategy quotes)
- Richard Dennis – The Turtle Trader (trend follower)
- William Eckhardt – The mathematical trader (An early Nassim Taleb)
- Stanley Druckenmiller – George Soros’ left hand
- Paul Tudor Jones – Maverick Trader (quotes and strategies)
- Micheal Steinhardt – To Make Money Is Should Be A Little Painful
- David Einhorn – investment strategy and philosophy
- Bill Ackman – investment strategy and philosophy
- Steve Cohen – Stock Market Wizard
- Mark Douglas – All About The Correct Trading Strategy Mindset
- Steve Clark – hedge fund strategy market wizard
- Larry Williams – Indicator Innovator, Strategy Trader, And Tax Rebellion
- Jim Rogers – The Adventurist Macro Trader
- Larry Hite – All About Trading Strategy Risk
- Randy McKay – Market Wizard currency strategy trader
- Michael Marcus – The First Trading Strategy Market Wizard
- Charles Faulkner – Trading strategy trader and programmer
- Richard Driehaus – Turtle Strategy Trader
- Dana Galante – the Market Wizard short seller
- Linda Raschke – Tape Reading Trading Strategy
- Nicolas Darvas – How I made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
- David Shaw – the king of quant – quant trading strategy
- Van K. Tharp – The psychology of trading
- Larry Connors – Mean Reversion Strategy Trader
- Rob Hanna – Quantifiable Edges (trading strategy)
- Ahmet Okumus – From Istanbul to Wall Street
- Steve Watson – Small cap trading strategy investor/trader
- Gil Blake – The master of trading strategy consistency
- Blair Hull – All about the trading edge
- Howard Seidler – the original Turtle Trading Strategy Trader (The Turtle Experiment)
- Steve Lescarbeau – mutual fund trading strategy
- Tom Basso – Mr. Serenity
- Bruce Kovner – Trade Small And Manage Risk (Trade Many Trading Strategies)
- Michael Carr – Strategy Trader, Motivator, And Speaker
- Bill Lipschutz – FOREX strategy trader
- Joe Ritchie – an early quant in the option markets
- Micheal Masters – Stock Market Wizard
- Monroe Trout – one of the first Market Wizards
- Alexander Elder – Trading Author And Indicator Innovator
- Mark Ritchie – Master Option Trader (God In The Pits)
- Alphonse Fletcher Jr. – Triple Digit Returns
- Mark Minervini – stock market wizard trader
- Mark D. Cook – market wizard trader and investor (Net worth and strategy)
- Jeffrey Yass – the founder of Susquehanna
- Claudio Guazzoni – Multillingual trader
- Micheal Lauer – Stock Market Wizard?
Brett Steenbarger trading strategy quotes
The article ends with some quotes from Brett Steenbarger: