ChatGPT trading strategies are strategies generated with the help of the ChatGPT AI that is currently taking the world by storm. The AI can help you create technical indicators, AI trading strategies based on specified indicators, and even trading algos, as well as offer sentiment analysis and prediction models that can help you make better AI trading decisions.
The use of artificial intelligence has been on the rise in many industries, as AIs assist us in many aspects of our lives. A new AI that is making the headlines now is the ChatGPT, which has been famed to help with coding trading strategies and indicators, as well as suggesting the direction of financial markets in the future. What do you know about ChatGPT trading strategies?
In this post, we answer some questions about ChatGP trading strategies. At the end of the article, we make an example of a strategy made by ChatGPT for our trading platform.
Our Best ChatGPT Trading Strategies
What is ChatGPT and how does it work?
ChatGPT is an AI developed by OpenAI. It is designed to assist with tasks such as answering questions, giving information, and engaging in conversation. The AI is based on the GPT (Generative Pre-training Transformer) architecture and is trained on a massive dataset of human-generated answers.
The model is able to generate human-like text in response to a given prompt and can be fine-tuned for specific tasks such as language translation, question answering, and text summarization. It was created to be helpful and provide an accurate resource for its users.
The model uses a technique called “attention mechanism” to focus on specific parts of the input while generating the output. It also uses a technique called beam search to generate multiple hypotheses and then select the most likely one as the final output.
At the moment it is more or less in an open beta phase, so it’s constantly learning and updating its knowledge. Nonetheless, it is already famed for its ability to be able to generate human-like answers and write near-perfect codes based on the input it receives. However, it can be very incorrect at times and has a tendency to be overly confident when incorrect.
5 swing trading strategies video
If you want to get strategies that ChatGPT can’t make, we present 5 backtested swing strategies in the video below. The video includes trading rules, equity curves, statistics, and metrics (we have plenty of videos on our YouTube Channel):
ChatGPT can’t help you make GOOD strategies
Artificial intelligence is still in its infancy, and the human brain, intuition, and experience are much better regarding trading strategies.
You might want to check out all our time-tested strategies developed years ago. We have skin in the game – we trade many of these strategies ourselves:
….the best strategies can be found in our….
Backtested trading strategies
What are the advantages of ChatGPT?
ChatGPT has several advantages, including:
- Answer basic questions: ChatGPT can answer basic questions in many areas and can even write near-perfect codes for different AI trading strategies in accordance with your input for the problem you want to be solved.
- Fine-tuning capabilities: ChatGPT can be fine-tuned to perform specific tasks, such as language translation or question answering, by training it on a smaller dataset of task-specific examples.
- Large model size: It is based on a large model, which means it has a lot of parameters and can learn from a large amount of data, leading to better performance on many tasks.
- Flexibility: The AI can be used for a variety of natural language processing tasks, such as conversation and language translation.
- Beam search: With beam search, ChatGPT can generate multiple hypotheses, which improves the quality of the generated text.
What are some of the top trading strategies used with ChatGPT?
There are no specific strategies to use with ChatGPT; it is a multi-purpose AI. What you do with it depends on what you want. Having said that, here are some ways you can use the tool:
- Fundamental analysis: You can use ChatGPT to extract insights from financial news articles, social media posts, and other unstructured data sources. These insights can then be used in conjunction with other trading strategies to inform investment decisions.
- Sentiment analysis: ChatGPT can be fine-tuned to perform sentiment analysis on financial news articles, social media posts, and other unstructured data sources. This can be used to identify positive or negative sentiment about a particular stock or market trend.
- Technical analysis: You can ask ChatGPT to code any technical indicator or strategy you want for any trading platform, and it will write a near-perfect code for you. However, you need to be familiar with the language to know when you need to make the necessary modifications for the code to work properly. The wording of your input matters a lot in how ChatGPT understands the problem to provide the anticipated solution.
How does ChatGPT help traders to make better decisions?
ChatGPT can help chatgpt traders make better decisions by providing insights and information from large amounts of unstructured data, such as financial news articles, social media posts, and other sources. In essence, it can help with sentiment analysis where the gpt trader is able to identify positive or negative sentiment about a particular stock or market trend and use that in making trading decisions.
By helping traders code technical indicators and strategies, ChatGPT makes technical analysis a bit easier for traders, allowing them to identify price patterns and trends which they can use in making trading decisions.
ChatGPT can be fine-tuned to generate predictions and forecasts based on historical market data and news. These predictions and forecasts can be used to inform AI trading decisions and identify potential opportunities in the market. However, note that it is important to validate the predictions and insights generated by ChatGPT with other sources and methods.
What are the risks associated with ChatGPT trading?
ChatGPT can be a powerful tool for extracting insights from unstructured financial market data, making predictions, and coding technical strategies, but it comes with the following risks:
- Codes may contain bugs: The codes generated by ChatGPT may contain bugs that can prevent them from executing, and even when they execute, they may run on faulty logic and give false signals. You need to understand the coding language to fix them. ChatGPT is no easy fix if you can’t code.
- Overreliance on model predictions: You should not solely rely on the predictions generated by ChatGPT. Models can make mistakes and can be affected by biases in the training data. You should always validate them with other sources and methods. We have tried it, and the code was on several occasions wrong.
- Lack of interpretability: For sentiment analysis, it may be difficult to understand how ChatGPT arrived at a particular conclusion. The reasoning behind a particular prediction may be based on false assumptions, but the trader wouldn’t know.
- Lack of understanding of the market: ChatGPT can’t understand the market dynamics and the complex interactions between different factors that affect the market. GPT traders need to have a good understanding of the market to use the insights and predictions generated by ChatGPT effectively.
What are the most profitable strategies for ChatGPT trading?
While you can use ChatGPT to generate trading strategies, it cannot tell you the most profitable trading strategies. You can only find out by backtesting all the strategies you generate from ChatGPT to know the one that performs the best.
The good thing about ChatGPT is that you can use it to fine-tune a trading idea and tune it to a trading strategy with indicators, alert systems, and even a trading algo that can execute trades by itself. However, you will need to backtest it to be sure it is profitable before using them in the live market environment.
How can GPT traders use ChatGPT to maximize their profits?
Traders can use ChatGPT to maximize their profits by using its predictions and insights in conjunction with other trading strategies and sources of information.
For example, they can use to perform sentiment analysis on social media posts to identify positive or negative sentiment about a particular stock or market trend, which they can combine with their trading strategies to identify potential buying or selling opportunities.
Also, traders can use ChatGPT to generate trading strategies, and then backtest these strategies on historical market data to evaluate their performance. This can help gpt traders identify profitable trading strategies and fine-tune the model to improve its performance. Likewise, traders can use ChatGPT to generate insights and predictions that can help them manage risk. For example, they can use the model’s predictions to identify potential market trends and adjust their portfolio accordingly.
ChatGPT can also help traders to monitor the market and stay informed about market trends, events, and news. But you need to validate whatever insights generated by ChatGPT with other sources and methods.
What are the key considerations when using ChatGPT for AI trading?
These are some of the things to keep in mind when using ChatGPT for AI trading:
- Trading strategies generated by ChatGPT are not complete in themselves — you will need to fine-tune them to work how you want them.
- The AI relies too much on model predictions, so you should always validate the strategies with other sources and methods, as the models can make mistakes and can be affected by biases in the training data.
- ChatGPT uses a language model and can’t understand the market dynamics and the complex interactions between different factors that affect the market, so you need to have a good understanding of the market to use the insights and predictions generated by ChatGPT effectively.
- The market is constantly changing, and the model’s predictions and insights may become stale over time — you have to monitor the model’s performance and update it regularly to ensure that it is providing accurate and useful predictions.
What is the best way to use ChatGPT for successful trading?
The best way to use ChatGPT for successful trading is to use it to generate trading ideas or develop the ones you already have. Then, you can convert them to trading strategies by yourself or with the help of ChatGPT.
You fine-tune the codes to what you want, check for bugs, and backtest them on your trading platform. If any of the strategies prove profitable, you can deploy them into the market with a small amount to see how it performs in live trading.
What tools and techniques can be used to effectively trade with ChatGPT?
Some of the tools you can use to effectively trade with ChatGPT include:
- Trading platforms: You will need a trading platform where you can execute the codes generated from ChatGPT. The platform you use depends on the language you asked ChatGPT to code — if you asked the AI to generate a strategy in pine language, you have to execute it on TradingView. If you asked for an MQL4 strategy, you have to use it on the MT4 platform.
- Strategy tester: Most major trading platforms have strategy tester where you can backtest the strategy. If your platform doesn’t have it, you have to look for backtesting software.
- Historical price data: Some platforms’ strategy testers provide some historical data for backtesting. If your platform doesn’t or the available data are not enough, you may subscribe for data via a third-party vendor.
- A demo account: you may need a demo account with a reliable broker for forward testing.
What are the most important factors to consider when using ChatGPT?
The most important factors to consider include the following:
- What you want ChatGPT to do for you: You must have a clear idea of what you want the AI to create for you. It could be a strategy based on an indicator or an indicator using your preferred data.
- The wording of your request: You must get your wording right; if not, what the AI would generate may not be what you have in mind.
- How to copy the strategy to your AI trading platform: Sometimes, when you copy the codes generated by the AI into the trading platform, they wouldn’t work because some characters and spaces are lost in the copying process.
- How to fine-tune and debug the codes: For TradingView strategies, the AI codes are in version 4 of the pine language, so you will have to update the code for it to work. Sometimes, there may be other bugs that need to be fixed, so you need to know the language very well to get things in order.
What are the differences between ChatGPT and traditional trading strategies?
Here are some of the main differences between ChatGPT and traditional trading strategies:
- Data source: ChatGPT uses unstructured data such as financial news articles, social media posts, and other sources, whereas traditional trading strategies typically use structured data such as market data, financial statements, and economic indicators.
- Analysis method: ChatGPT uses natural language processing techniques to extract insights from unstructured data, whereas traditional trading strategies use techniques such as technical analysis, fundamental analysis, and quantitative analysis.
- Flexibility: ChatGPT can be fine-tuned for multiple natural language processing tasks, while traditional trading strategies are usually specific to a certain type of analysis or market.
- Human bias: ChatGPT can be affected by the bias present in the data it was trained on, while traditional trading strategies can also be affected by the bias of the gpt trader implementing the strategy.
How can chatgpt trader effectively use ChatGPT to develop their own AI trading strategies?
If you already have a trading idea, you can ask the AI to create a trading strategy based on that idea. You will need to specify the platform or the coding language you want the strategy created for — TradingView, MT4, MT5, TradeStation, etc.
When the strategy is generated, you copy it into your trading platform and compile it. If there are bugs, you fix them yourself or ask ChatGPT to fix them and copy the newly generated code. Next, you backtest the strategy to see how it performs.
What are the most important features of ChatGPT for successful trading?
The best feature of ChatGPT is that it can extract market sentiment information about a security from the information in social media and other media sources. Also, if you are too lazy to code but understand a language enough to fix some bugs, you will also like the AI’s ability to write some good codes that require little or no modifications to work.
How does ChatGPT compare to other automated trading systems?
You can only use ChatGPT as a tool to create trading strategies and trading algos. The AI, by itself, cannot automate your trading for you; it is only a tool you can use to create whatever system you want, including automated systems. Other automated systems are ready-made tools you can deploy as you deem fit.
For example, if you are using Amibroker, like we do, you might get the code to run a backtest, but you are not able to run it live, though. For that, you need additional code:
- How To Enter And Exit Positions At The Close In Amibroker And Tradestation
- MOC and OPG orders – (How To Minimize Slippage And Commissions When Trading) – [trading strategy]
What are the benefits of using ChatGPT for trading?
The benefits of using ChatGPT for trading include the following:
- You can use it to create trading indicators, strategies, and even trading algos
- You can use it to extract sentiment information from social media and other sources
- You can use it to get some predictive models for certain market trends and patterns
How can ChatGPT help traders improve their trading performance?
ChatGPT can help traders improve performance by generating sentiment analysis from social media posts, which gpt traders can combine with their AI trading strategies to identify potential buying or selling opportunities. Traders can also use the AI to generate trading strategies, which they can backtest and use in their trading.
ChatGPT Trading Strategy -Artificial Intelligence VIDEO
What are the challenges of using ChatGPT for trading?
The challenges of using ChatGPT for trading include:
- You have to know the coding language of the generated strategy to fix any bugs in the codes
- ChatGPT relies so much on predictive models, which may not always be accurate
- You may not know how the AI arrives at its conclusion of market sentiment
What are the key tips and tricks for successful trading with ChatGPT?
- You must know what you want ChatGPT to do for you.
- You have to use precise wording for your request on ChatGPT.
- You must have some understanding of the strategy you asked the AI to code so you should be able to debug it if necessary.
How can traders use ChatGPT to create and test their own trading strategies?
- Have a trading idea
- Ask ChatGPT to create a profitable strategy based on the idea for any platform you choose
- Copy the code and fix any bugs in it
- Backtest the code to know how it performs
- Consider forward-testing it on a demo account before putting your money on the line
ChatGPT Example Using Amibroker
Is ChatGPT useful, or is it liable to mistakes? Let’s find out!
We made the following test for ChatGPT:
“Make a mean reversion strategy for Amibroker using Relative Strength Index.”
This is the result:
ChatGPT made logical trading rules, but this strategy will get very few trades.
After ChatGPT listed the trading rules, we asked it to make the Amibroker code, which it wrote in a couple of seconds.
We put the Amibroker code into our Formula Editor and debugged it:
As you can see, it contains plenty of errors!
We are not surprised when we see the source (we asked ChatGPT):
What was the source? This strategy was adapted from the article "How to Use the Relative Strength Index (RSI) for Mean Reversion Trading" by Justin Kuepper on Investopedia.
Quite frankly, Investopedia knows nothing about trading; they are just writing generalizations.
We conclude that ChatGPT is good at giving hints, but you can’t expect correct results.
List of trading strategies
We have written over 1000 articles on this blog since we started in 2012. Many articles contain specific trading rules that can be backtested for profitability and performance metrics.
The trading rules are compiled into a package where you can purchase all of them (recommended) or just a few of your choice. We have hundreds of trading ideas in the compilation.
The strategies also come with logic in plain English (plain English is for Python backtesting).
For a list of the strategies we have made, please click on the green banner:
These strategies must not be misunderstood for the premium strategies that we charge a fee for: